The WiSE Mentoring Program at the Okanagan Campus of The University of British Columbia was developed to support students as they start to build their careers. Students find the mentoring invaluable, but mentors also experience rich and sometimes unexpected benefits.
Top Five Benefits for Mentors:
- Give back some of the support and inspiration you have received throughout your career.
- Make contacts within your industry and build your professional network.
- Improve your communication and leadership skills.
- Develop or maintain connections to UBC and contribute to efforts to build a stronger industry and community.
- Contribute to the future of your field or industry by assisting the next generation of leaders.
Top Five Benefits for Students:
- Share life experiences and learn from a mentor’s challenges and achievements
- Start building a professional network.
- Get specific career-building advice, including tips on resumés and interviews, ways to track industry trends, and how to make a successful transition to professional life.
- Improve communication skills.
- Gain clarity on career, academic, and personal plans.